Get authentic Sicilian Anelletti Pasta HERE
For the Meat:
- In a large bowl add the ground meat and the egg. Mix well with your hands.
- Add the bread crumbs, the garlic and the pecorino cheese and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper as desired. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add the chopped onion and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the onion is translucent, add 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes.
- Stir and add 1/2 cup of peas. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the basil torn with your hands.
- Saute the sauce for 2-3 minutes and add the ground meat.
- Keep on breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until it completely browns. Once it is browned, set is aside.
Make the Tomato Sauce:
- In a sauce pot add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, the chopped onion and the chopped garlic.
- Once the onion and garlic have turned golden, add 1/2 cup of the browned meat.
- Stir for 1 minute and add the crushed tomatoes. Add 1/2 cup of water to the tomato can to wash it and pour into the pot.
- Add the basil and the peas.
- Add salt and pepper as desired and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Make the Bechamel sauce:
- In a small pot at low flame, add the butter and let it melt.
- Once the butter has completely melted, add the flour and stir it into the butter.
- Little by little add the milk while you continuously stir.
- Once you have a cream add the Parmigiano as well as salt and pepper.
- Mix well and add the nutmeg. Give it a stir and set aside.
- Cook the Anellini pasta in salted water for about 10 minutes, once done, blanch the pasta and set aside.
Assemble the dish:
- Preheat the oven at 425F.
- Add 1 cup of tomato sauce to the pasta and mix well.
- In a 9x13 baking pan add a coating of sauce to the bottom.
- Add 1/2 of the pasta and spread it well.
- Add a generous coating of bechamel sauce.
- Add a layer of the browned meat.
- Sprinkle some Parmigiano cheese and add a thin coating of tomato sauce.
- Add another layer of pasta, bechamel sauce, meat and a sprinkle of Parmigiano.
- Add another thin layer of tomato sauce followed by the rest of the pasta.
- Top with the remaining bechamel sauce and a thin sprinkle of tomato sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the dish rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.