Preparation for the Ciambella:
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
- You can use a large glass bowl and an electric beater to do your mixing or you can use a Stand Mixer.
- Add the eggs and beat them well.
- Add the baking powder and mix well into the eggs.
- Add the olive oil and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest and the cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Little by little add the flour and mix until the flour is totally absorbed into the liquids. The mix should be semi-soft. Put aside.
- Peel the apples and slice them into half moon about 1/4 inch thick. Squeeze the juice of a lemon on the apple slices to prevent oxidation and give then an extra kick.
- Take a 10” Angel Food Cake Pan and grease with butter the bottom and the sides.
- Pour half of the mix into the pan and make sure that it is evenly distributed.
- Add a row of apple slices on the surface of the mix to cover the entire mix.
- Add the remaining mix to the pan and level it.
- Position apple slices on to with each slice overlapping half of the preceding slice.
- Sprinkle sugar over the entire top of the Ciambella.
- Bake the Ciambella for 60 minutes.
Preparation for the Almond Cream:
- In a high speed food processor add the almonds and the sugar and process for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mascarpone and the lemon zest and process until you have a smooth cream (about 1 min.)
- Slice the Ciambella and serve with a scoop of Almond Cream.
- Garnish with fresh mint.