To make the sauce:
- Put a saucepan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute until golden, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, salt and basil and lower the flame to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
To make the Baked Ziti:
- Put a saute pan over a medium-high flame and heat the olive oil. Fry in batches until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per batch. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the pasta in the water and cook about half the time of the package instructions. Drain and run under cold running water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
To assemble the baked Ziti:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread about 1 cup of sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add about half the ziti and add another layer of sauce. top with half the eggplant, half the prosciutto, half the parmigiano cheese and half the mozzarella. Add the rest of the pasta and top with the remaining eggplant, sauce, prosciutto and parmigiano. Bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining mozzarella and bake an additional 10 minutes.