Make the Cheese Meatballs:
- Fill a pot (to deep fry) with about 4 inches of olive oil. Begin to heat oil.
- Beat eggs and add bread, continue beating until both eggs and bread are combined well. Add cheese, parsley, garlic, and baking powder. Combine well. Mixture will seem like a thick, sticky, cake batter.
- Form a “football” shape with about 2 tablespoons of mixture. Carefully add each “polpette” to hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a platter lined with paper towels.
Make the Sauce:
- Saute garlic in olive oil and add in tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for about 45 mins. Add basil.
- The polpette may be added to the sauce. Simmer for a few minutes.