Genovese Cookies ___
For the Cookies:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 0.75 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.33 cup milk
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 0.67 pounds ricotta
- 0.67 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- chips to taste (approx 1/2 cup)
For the cookie dough:
- Combine sugar and shortening in mixer bowl and cream together till smooth.
- Add eggs and beat till smooth. Add milk and vanilla.
- Carefully add flour and baking powder, stirring together by hand or by mixer on lowest speed.
For the filling:
- Beat ricotta and sugar together till smooth.
- Stir in Cool Whip and cinnamon.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness and cut circles with 3" cookie cutter.
- Top half of the cookie rounds with a spoonful of ricotta filling.
- Top with second cookie and seal edges with your fingers.
- Prick tops with fork.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- When done, cookies with be light colored and just beginning to turn golden around edges.
- Cool on rack.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar.