Limoncello Ice Box Cake ___
For the Limoncello Cream:
- 1.75 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1.75 cups + 2 tablespoons limoncello liqueur
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 0.75 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 egg yolks
- peel of one lemon, cut into one long piece
For the Cake:
- about 24 tea biscuits or Graham Crackers
- whole milk for dipping
- lemons and mint leaves for decorating
To make the cream:
- In a medium sized saucepan combine the milk, limoncello, heavy cream, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, egg yolks and lemon peel.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. Turn the flame onto medium low and whisk continuously until the mixture begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Once the cream can coat the back of a spoon remove from heat. Strain any lumps if necessary and press plastic wrap directly into the cream to prevent a skin from forming.
- Cool to room temperature before using.
- Lightly dip the cookies in the milk and line the bottom of an 11x7 inch pan with the cookies. You will need about 12 cookies per layer.
- Spread about 1/3 of the cream over the cookies.
- Repeat 2 more times and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled.