Lucy's Fig Cookies ___
For the Filling:
- 1 pound dry figs
- vanilla rum
- 0.5 cup walnuts
- 0.25 cup raisins
- 0.25 cup sugar
For the Dough:
- 2 pounds 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 0.5 pound lard or Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bag Vanillina Pane Degli Angeli or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- milk, as much
- milk as needed - about 1/4 cup
- Put the figs in a bowl and cover them with Vanilla Rum. Let them soak for two days.
- After two days, put the figs, the walnuts and the raisins in a blender and chop finely.
- Put the mix in a pan, add the 1/4 cup of sugar and cook until the liquids dry up. Set aside to cool off.
- In a bowl, mix all the dough ingredients and add as much milk as necessary to make the dough soft and elastic. Cover it and let it rest for 30 mins.
- Spread the dough into a thin long flat strip about 3" wide.
- Spread the filling at the center of the dough and close it into a long roll.
- Cut the roll every 2" and then make an indentation on one side of the cut piece.
- Bake all your cookies at 375F for about 10 Min.
- Garnish with powdered sugar.