Sarde Beccafico ___
For the Sarde:
- 1 pound fresh large sardines (Cleaned deboned and butterflied)
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0.5 cup pinoli nuts (pine nuts)
- 0.5 cup currants
- 0.5 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano
- bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley
- hot pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a saute` pan add EV olive oil, chopped garlic and 1/4 of one of the onions finely chopped. Cook at medium flame.
- Before the garlic begins to turn light gold add the pignoli nuts.
- Let the pignoli toast for a minute and add the currants.
- One minute later add the bread crumbs and let toast for a few minutes.
- Add the cheese and mix well until it melts into all the ingredients.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add fresh parsley and remove the pan from the flame.
- Spread a light coat of EV olive oil at the bottom of an oven pan.
- Take each sardine and lay it on a board on its back.
- Spread a tablespoon of the stuffing over the surface of the sardine.
- Roll the sardine and place in an oven pan flanked by a slice of onion on each side. Separate each rolled sardine from the one next to it with a bay leaf.
- Roll all the sardines in the same fashion.
- Any excess stuffing spread it over the rolled sardines.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375F.