Zuppa Inglese ___
For the Filling:
- 7 ounces Lady Fingers
- 1 cup Rum
- 1 cup Alchermes* (Maraschino is a good colorful substitute)
For the Cream:
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 ounces sugar
- 3.5 ounces all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lemon, peel only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate:
- 2.5 ounces bitter cocoa
- 1.5 ounces sugar
- 1 ounce milk
- In a pan put the egg yolks and the sugar and begin whipping.
- Slowly add the flour and then add the vanilla to the lukewarm milk and add it to the ingredients. Add the lemon peel.
- Put the pan on the stove and cook at medium flame. Stir continuously until the ingredients reach the boiling point.
- Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes and continue stirring.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let it cool. Remove the lemon peel and stir occasionally.
- In a bowl add the hot milk and slowly add the cocoa and sugar and let them melt.
- Let cool off.
Zuppa Inglese Assembly:
- In a cake pan begin by adding a layer of Lady Fingers dipped on one side in the Rum and the other in the Alchermes.
- Add a layer of chocolate and a layer of cream.
- Repeat the layering process.
- Garnish the top with cream and chocolate.