Pizza Rustica: A rich and delicious pie perfect for the Easter Holidays.
For 8 Person(s)
For the Dough:
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
For the Filling:
- 2 pounds fresh ricotta (drained for at least 2 days)
- 1/2 pound grated ricotta salata
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 pound sopressata, sliced
For the Glaze:
- 1 large egg
March 19th is
St. Joseph's Day!!!
Get your Complete
St. Joseph Box
- Make a well with the sifted flour.
- Dilute the yeast in warm water and pour into the well.
- Add all the other dough ingredients and mix well until you have a dough ball.
- If dough is too soft, add some flour... if too hard... add some warm water.
- Knead dough until smooth and set aside in a warm location of the house covered with a kitchen towel for 2 hours.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mixture should not be too soft. Set aside.
- Roll out 1/2 of the dough with a rolling pin. If the dough sticks to the pin, coat it with flour.
- Lay the dough onto a 16" pizza pan.
- Put the ricotta mixture onto the dough, leaving a 1" lip clear of mixture.
- Line up the top of the mixture with slices of Sopressata. Press them slightly into the mixture.
- With a pastry brush, put warm water around the lip.
- Roll out the other half of the dough. Put it on top and press ends together with the tip of a fork.
- Beat one egg (whole) in a mixing bowl.
- Brush the egg over the pie.
- Poke tiny holes in the pie before placing in the oven.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Pie cooks in approx. 40 minutes or until golden brow, both top and bottom.