Maritati Pasta with Tiny Meatballs
Maritati Pasta with Tiny Meatballs in tomato sauce... perfect for your Sunday Dinner!
Maritati Pasta is the marriage of Orecchiette (female) and Maccheroni Casarecci (male)... together they make a great couple!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Maritati:
- 1/2 pound homemade Orecchiette
- 1/2 pound homemade Maccheroni Casarecci
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 pound bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- fresh basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- oil for frying
Get into the Christmas Spirit!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Pots and Cups are now in Stock!
Get both HERE!!!
- In a sauce pan, add 4 tbs of EV olive oil and the onion finely chopped.
- Once the onion is translucent add the white wine, let it evaporate for 1 minute and add the tomatoes and two leaves of basil cut in large pieces by hand. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook at medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- Meantime, prepare the polpettine (meatballs).In a bowl, add the ground beef, the cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and the parsley and garlic both very finely chopped.
- Mix all the ingredients very well and roll the polpettine about 1/2" in diameter or smaller.
- Once you have made all the meatballs, lightly fry them (1-2 mins) in olive oil.
- Put all the meatballs in the sauce and continue to cook for another 15 mins. with the pan uncovered.
- Cook the Maritati Pasta to an Al Dente consistency, pour in a large platter, mix with the sauce and meatballs and serve.
- Garnish with grated pecorino and fresh basil.
Orecchiette and Maccheroni Casarecci (Trofie Pasta is also a good substitute) are easily made by hand or you can readily find them in your favorite store.