Rotolla di Manzo Ripieno
Ground beef rolled and stuffed with ricotta, spinach and mushrooms cooked a la parmigiana.
For 8 Person(s)
For the Rotolla:
- 2 pounds medium ground beef ( pork can also be used)
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach ( 1 cup of chopped frozen spinach can be used)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella (scamorza or anything that melts nicely can be used)
- salt and pepper
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Saute spinach, onion and mushroom until soft and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add ground meat, bread crumbs, oregano, parmigiano, and beaten egg and mix until well incorporated.
- Place meat mixture between sheets of parchment paper and using hands or a rolling pin, flatten out until you have made a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Layer ricotta cheese and all other ingredients evenly over surface of the meat.
- Using the parchment paper and both hands begin tightly rolling meat until you have made a log.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge, cut into 1 or 2 inch slices.
- Squeeze slice firmly with your hand to make sure it does not separate then fry with some oil in a hot pan for 2 minutes each side.
- In a baking tray, add some tomato sauce and the fried meat slices.
- Top with more sauce and grated cheese then bake covered for 35 minutes at 375F and uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with some fresh chopped basil and serve.
Typical of a dish made "a la parmigiana" the wonderful combination of cheese and sauce transport simple meat and ingredients into something wonderful.