Cassatedde... one of the joys of Easter from the Sicilian cuisine.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Dough:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 ounces Crisco or Lard
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup white wine
- oil for frying
- 1 egg for the egg wash
For the Filling:
- 1/2 pound impastata or drained ricotta
- 1/4 pound almond flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 ounces sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- sugar for garnishing
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Make the Dough:
- In a stand mixer, add the flour, the sugar and the crisco and mix well until the crisco is entirely absorbed by the flour.
- Add the egg yolk and mix.
- Little by little add the wine and mix until you have a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic paper and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Make the Filling:
- Mix the Impastata or the drained ricotta and the sugar.
- Add the almond extract and the almond flour. Mix very well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Make the Cassatedde:
- Take a piece of dough and with a rolling pin flatten it very thin.
- Line the border with the egg wash and add a Tbs of filling in the middle. Close the dough to form a half moon and press around the perimeter.
- Fry all the cassatedde.
- When they completely cool garnish with powdered sugar.