Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe Pugliese Style
Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe with Mortadella. A traditional dish from Puglia as showcased on the Food Network - 24 Hour Restaurant Battle by Team Nonna! This dish is also known as Eggplant Parmesan.
PS: This Video Recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna TV Channels available on: Roku TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Android. Please search for the Cooking with Nonna channel on your TV platform and enjoy the show on your large TV screen!
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Parmigiana:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons, water
- 2 large eggplant
- olive oil for frying
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 12 slices, Mortadella
March 19th is
St. Joseph's Day!!!
Get your Complete
St. Joseph Box
- Tomato Sauce Preparation:
- In a saucepan, add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil and the chopped onion. Once the onion becomes translucent, add the tomato sauce.
- Stir and cook at low flame for about 15 minutes. Save for later.
- Pastella/Parmigiana Preparation:
- In a bowl, add all the pastella ingredients and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and continue to mix. Add more water as needed to make the pastella rather liquid.
- Peel the eggplants and slice them longway about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the pastella and fry them in olive oil.
- Once they turn golden, remove them from the oil and remove any excess oil with paper towels. Fry the rest of the slices of eggplant.
- Take a deep oven pan and coat the bottom with a generous coating of the tomato sauce.
- Deposit one layer of the eggplants to cover the entire bottom.
- Add a thin coating of tomato sauce on each slice of eggplant followed by a sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese and mozzarella cubes.
- Cover the entire surface with a layer of Mortadella.
- Repeat the layering process until you reach the top of the pan.
- The last layer of eggplants should be covered with a generous coating of tomato sauce and Parmigiano and finally with whole slices of mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400F.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes and serve.
Yum. Had this for the first time when we were invited to our friends who are from Bari who now live ...
See Full Review >> - char83
Huge hit with the family! - Alisha123
Too good to be true !!! - nicofau
Thnx for Sharing your recipe it was one of my families favorite - Saint of circumstance
I am VERY picky about my Eggplant Parm, and this recipes was WONDERFUL! Now my favorite way to prep...
See Full Review >> - rclaeys3
So delicious!!! - Jannette
Phenomenal! Used fresh mozzarella! We've eaten and cooked many different eggplant Parmesan recipes a...
See Full Review >> - Anisa
you can leave that greasy gross mortadella out for me! made it this way and nobody liked it. I payed...
See Full Review >> - fallenangel666