Stuffed Clams - Vongole Ripiene
Stuffed Clams - Vongole Ripiene, this you need to try. The sauce from the clams is ideal to use over spaghetti or linguine.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Stuffing:
- 18 top neck clams
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups grated pecorino cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
For the Sauce:
- 48 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- peperoncino, as desired
- 1 pound dry spaghetti
- Wash the clams in fresh water.
- With a knife open each clam. Save all juice that comes out of the clams when you open them as it will be added to the sauce for greater flavor.
- In a bowl prepare the stuffing: add bread crumbs, cheese, olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Add the eggs and milk and mix well again until all ingredients are amalgamated well and the consistency is firm.
- Take a scoop of the stuffing and fill each clam Put enough stuffing in each clam to completely fill to clam to the edges of the shell.
- In large pot, put some oil and garlic. Once the garlic turns golden add the crushed tomatoes. Add salt and peperoncino to taste.
- Let the tomatoes come to a boil. Add the juice you saved from when you opened the clams. Let everything boil for about 10 minutes and then gently add the stuffed clams into the sauce. The sauce should completely cover the clams. If necessary add some more sauce.
- Cover the pot and let everything cook at medium heat for 45 minutes at low flame.
- Add fresh parsley and serve.
- Some of the sauce will be absorbed by the clams. However, the remaining sauce is excellent over spaghetti or linguine.