Anna Benedetto's Lasagne
Anna Benedetto's Lasagne. The lasagne I grew up with which brings back many wonderful memories of my mother Anna.
Also known as Lasagna.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Lasagne:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces Italian plum tomatoes
- 28 ounces Italian puree
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lasagne pasta, cooked ‘al dente’
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Get into the Christmas Spirit!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Pots and Cups are now in Stock!
Get both HERE!!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large saute pan and brown the ground beef and onions together; drain fat. Set aside.
- Remove sausage from casing; crumble and place in large pot with garlic and the remainder of the extra virgin extra virgin olive oil, cook at medium heat until the sausage meat has browned.
- In a bowl, crush the plum tomatoes by hand.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, and tomato paste to the pot.
- Season with basil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Add ground beef mixtures and stir well. Simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine ricotta and eggs in bowl.
- In 15-inch lasagne pan, place a small amount of sauce on bottom; layer with 1⁄4 noodles, 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 grated cheese; cover with 1⁄4 sauce.
- Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, and cover with remaining sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Buon Appetito.