Porchetta... a succulent roasted pork belly stuffed with seasoned pork shoulder. Beautifully tender meat surrounded by crispy pork skin crackle. Truly a taste to remember.
For 12 Person(s)
For the Porchetta:
- 1 pork belly approx 10-15 lbs. available at your local butcher
- 1 pork (capicollo/roast or pork shoulder) a few lbs will do
- garlic, lots of it! I used 3 whole bulbs
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon corriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Place pork belly skin side down on a flat surface.
- Cut roast or shoulder into large cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Chop all other ingredients (garlic, herbs etc.) finely and add to bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to bowl and mix well.
- Now place contents to center of the pork belly, carefully fold both ends of belly until a large cylinder shape is created.
- Tie entire belly together carefully spiraling along entire outer surface and ends leaving only 1 inch of space between each loop.
- Cover entire belly with olive oil and coarse sea salt and place in a large tray preferrably on a baking rack.
- Place in a preheated 400*F oven and cook for several hours until skin is crispy and golden brown and interior temp of roast has reached 170c (use an oven probe or meat thermometer)
- Use the drippings from porchetta to baste skin occasionally.
- The size and weight of roast will determine actual cooking time.
- Once done, remove from oven and let stand for 1/2 hour before cutting.
This can also be cooked on a bbq/grill using indirect heat as long as your temperature is consistent and remember try not to open oven or bbq too often unless it is to baste occasionally. Enjoy!