Easter Bread - Gurrugulo - Scarcella
Easter Bread: Il Gurrugulo... or Scarcella? In all the regions of Italy it is called by many other different names. Some of the names are: Cuculo, Cuzzupa.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two 13x18 inch baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the eggs, sugar oil and lemon zest. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until all the dry ingredients are absorbed.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface.
- To make a braid, take a chunk of dough and with floured hands roll it into a rope about 3/4 of an inch thick and 14 inches long. Repeat two more times so that you have 3 pieces of dough in equal length and thickness.
- Take the three ropes, pinch them together at one end and slowly and carefully braid them until the very end. Pinch the end of the braid and trim any uneven excess with a knife.
- Bring the two ends together overlapping them slightly to form a ring. Repeat and make 4 more braided rings. Quickly transfer the braided rings to the lined baking sheet.
- Press the dough together where it overlaps and place an egg on top of the seam.
- Roll out two small ropes of dough about 1/4 inch thick. Place them over the egg to form a cross, pressing each end into the braid to secure. Gently press the dough together where it overlaps on top of the egg.
- Brush all the dough with the egg wash, including the cross on top of the egg. Take care not to get any egg wash on the eggs themselves. Sprinkle the braids with nonpareils and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the braids are lightly golden and shiny and the bottoms are nicely browned.
- Serve at room temperature.
With the dough you can create many different types of Gurruguli. It all depends on your artistic creativity.
loved not having to use yeast on this one :) - NonnaLinda
Agree! Love that no yeast is necessary! Question: Raw egg or cooked after braiding? - Virjinja
You need 9 so you have 2 to scramble with some pastina - gman518
You need 9 so you have 2 to scramble with some pastina -
4 eggs to mix, 4 eggs to put in the braid, & 1 egg to use as egg wash before sprinkles - cmgted