Anginetti - Italian Easter Cookies
This recipe is a familiar one among Italian families but always seem to vary slightly. This was my mother's recipe and we added the nutmeg and cinnamon as we like more a spice flavor.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 stick of butter (2 Oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Frosting:
- confectionary sugar
- half & half
- sugar crystals of different colors
- Blend oil & sugar; Mix in eggs, butter (softened) and orange juice;
- Add vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; Stir until completely blended.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir until completely blended.
- Roll into balls and bake @ 350 for approx 10-15 mins (bake time depends on the size of the cookies)
- Mix confectionary sugar with half and half until you get a thick creamy consistency.
- Dip the cookies into the mix and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Allow to set up and enjoy!
Place a small amount of flour in your hand when rolling into balls to avoid sticking. Make the balls slightly smaller than a ping-pong ball. You can also swap out orange extract for the vanilla for a more citrus flavor. :)
I have a question, can I make the dough a day or two before baking. - Antonietta45
My Nana always made these but they were anise flavored....I think I'll try this recipe... - Robin-Marie
my nonna nora pereni made this all time it seemed and we didnt complain at all :)) - Saint of circumstance
Thank you, this is like my grandmother\'s recipe, but she would add almond or anise flavor. I am us...
See Full Review >> - DiFerdinando
I made this cookie. I kept the orange juice but changed the vanilla other spices for lemon flavoring...
See Full Review >> - nanat323
Love these for all the holidays! My kids favorite - email@example.com
I made these this morning and they turned out DELICIOUS. The only thing I had to do was add a little...
See Full Review >> - Italian Cooker