Paste di Mandorla - Almond Cookies
Very crunchy and sweet... and with many interesting flavors!
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1 pound almonds
- 1/2 pound flour
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon cove powder (Chiodi di Garofano)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Icing:
- 1 pound sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Boil the almonds and remove the peel. Once they are cold and somewhat dry, cut them in half or three parts and lightly toast them. Let them cool off.
- In a bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix them well.
- Add the eggs and the oil and mix well with a wooden spoon until you have a dough that is uniformly amalgamated.
- Take a lump of dough and roll it into a stick about 8 inches long and 3/4 inch thick. With a fork, press on the roll to flatten it a bit.
- With a large knife, cut the dough in rhomboids about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Put all the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 30 mins. at 375F
- After you have baked all your cookies, make your icing by melting the water and sugar in a pot over the stove, stir and let the water boil. Once the water boils, continue stirring and, once you stop stirring and the bubbles do not disappear from the surface (about 5 mins.), the icing is ready.
- Put 5 spoons of liquid in a steel bowl, add 5-6 cookies at the time and tumble them with a wooden spoon several times until they get coated with the icing. Pour the cookies on a wood board. Repeat the process for the remaining cookies and pour them on top of the other cookies. Leave them to dry for several hours until the icing is completely dry and turns white.
Nonna Romana Sciddurlo, Dessert & Cookie Recipes, Puglia Recipes, Easy Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Christmas Cookies Recipes, Easter Cakes and Cookies, Valentine's Cake and Cookie Recipes, Cookies Recipes, Vegetarian Dessert Recipes, Mediterranean Diet Dessert Recipes, Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes, Almond Cookie and Dessert Recipes, Italian Wedding Cookies and Pastries
These are very good. I made them for several years in a row now since finding them on this site. The...
See Full Review >> - Donnaloo2
This is my favorite cookie that my mother in law used to make, so I thought I'd give them a try. The...
See Full Review >> - Llaura
Authentic and delicious and in the house was so wonderful! - ginacarina