Throughout Italy, porchetta is produced with a whole pig. It is boned and seasoned according to local traditions. The carcass is bound with string and cooked in a wood-burning oven for 6 to 7 hours depending on the size of the pig. People celebrate while they feast upon this delicious, flavorful porchetta. What makes the Abruzzese version different is the seasoning.
- Take the boned pork shoulder, season it with salt, pepper, fennel, dry peppers and garlic and tie with string.
- Preheat oven at 450F degrees.
- Place roast in a roasting pan and drizzle with oil.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300F degrees and continue to cook for 3 hours.
- Take out the roast and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Skin should be crunchy.