Creamy Chicken with Peas, Prosciutto and Mushrooms
This is a take on a pasta dish my Mamma Angela would always prepare for me as a child and I wanted to tweak it to make it a main course.
I don't know about you but I love peas with almost anything! Especially when they're tossed with savory prosciutto and mushrooms and covered in a light cream sauce over juicy chicken. This dish is simple to prepare one pot and and is perfect for a decadent, quick weeknight meal. Oh and Mamma Angela approves too!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound thin sliced breast cutlets. pounded if necessary.
- all purpose flour for dredging
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 ounces prosciutto, cubed
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Season all the cutlets on both sides with salt in pepper.
- Add the flour to a shallow dish and dredge all the cutlets in the flour.
- Put a large sautÃ© pan over a medium-high flame and heat the olive oil. Cook the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the flame to medium and heat the 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add the shallots and sautÃ© until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add the prosciutto to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and wine and cook until you no longer smell alcohol, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the peas, cream and bring the pan and bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon. Stir in the cornstarch. Add the chicken back into the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
This turned out great, will add to my list of meals. - bobsant6