Friselle of Nonna Romana
Friselle are a very versatile bread that can be garnished with just about anything: tomatoes, olive paste or can be used to make your favorite Bruschetta.
For 8 Dozen(s)
For the Friselle
- 2 pounds fine semolina
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ounce yeast
Start Thinking of Christmas!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Cups and Pots
Get both HERE!!!
- Put the water in the bowl of a Stand Mixer and add the yeast. Let the yeast completely melt.
- Add the salt and Olive Oil. Let the salt melt in the fluids.
- Add the semolina and let the stand mixer work all the ingredients for about 15 minutes until the ingredients have become a well amalgamated ball of dough.
- On a wood board, cut a small piece of dough and roll it with your hands into a long stick about 3/4" thick.
- Cut the stick into sections of about 5" long and unite the ends by pressing the ends together with your fingers to form a small circle or a Frisella.
- Make all you Friselle and put them on a baking sheet.
- Once you have made all of them, place the baking sheet in a warm location of the house so that the Friselle can raise for about 30 Mins.
- Pre-heat the oven at 425F and bake the Friselle for 10 Mins.
- After 10 Mins., flip all the Friselle and bake them for an additional 10 Mins.
- Then, take each Frisella and with a very sharp knife, cut them in half and place both halves back on the baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
- Bake all the Friselle for an additional 10 Mins at 425F and you are ready to enjoy them.