Hazelnut Pasta Frolla Hearts with Nutella
Happy World Nutella Day 2017!
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 1 cup Nutella or your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread
- sprinkles to decorate
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and process until fine, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter, sugar and extract on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Lower the speed to low and beat in the hazelnuts. Beat in the eggs one at a time waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add in the flour and mix until fully absorbed and a dough forms. Do not over mix.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a standard baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough using 1/4 inch rolling guides. Using a 3 inch heart cookie cutter cut out as many hearts as possible and place on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Re roll any scraps. If the dough is too soft wrap it in the plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Before baking chill the cut out hearts in the freezer for 10 minutes to ensure they keep their shape.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost each cookie with the hazelnut spread and decorate with your favorite sprinkles.