Italian Easter Egg Baskets
This recipe comes from a Sicilian Nonna ( Rosaria). It has been passed on for generations and is an Easter pleaser with everyone of all ages! Enjoy
For 8 Serving(s)
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shorting
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 hard boiled eggs( color them with Easter egg colors and let dry)
Get into the Christmas Spirit!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Pots and Cups are now in Stock!
Get both HERE!!!
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl with mixer mix butter, eggs, sugar, shortening and vanilla extract until cream. Reduce speed to Low and gradually add flour mixture and 1/2 cup of milk until combined.
- Divide dough in three pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Cut in two 4 " strips and braid in a spiral to make baskets leaving a small opening in the middle.
- Place baskets in a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper Place colored eggs in the center of the baskets.
- Brush baskets with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.