Italian Easter Egg Baskets
This recipe comes from a Sicilian Nonna ( Rosaria). It has been passed on for generations and is an Easter pleaser with everyone of all ages! Enjoy
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl with mixer mix butter, eggs, sugar, shortening and vanilla extract until cream. Reduce speed to Low and gradually add flour mixture and 1/2 cup of milk until combined.
- Divide dough in three pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Cut in two 4 " strips and braid in a spiral to make baskets leaving a small opening in the middle.
- Place baskets in a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper Place colored eggs in the center of the baskets.
- Brush baskets with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.