Lucy's Fig Cookies
Zia Lucia's Fig Cookies... not just for Christmas... they are appreciated at any time of the year!
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Filling:
- 1 pound dry figs
- vanilla rum
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Dough:
- 2 pounds 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 pound lard or Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bag Vanillina Pane Degli Angeli or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- milk, as much
- milk as needed - about 1/4 cup
- Put the figs in a bowl and cover them with Vanilla Rum. Let them soak for two days.
- After two days, put the figs, the walnuts and the raisins in a blender and chop finely.
- Put the mix in a pan, add the 1/4 cup of sugar and cook until the liquids dry up. Set aside to cool off.
- In a bowl, mix all the dough ingredients and add as much milk as necessary to make the dough soft and elastic. Cover it and let it rest for 30 mins.
- Spread the dough into a thin long flat strip about 3" wide.
- Spread the filling at the center of the dough and close it into a long roll.
- Cut the roll every 2" and then make an indentation on one side of the cut piece.
- Bake all your cookies at 375F for about 10 Min.
- Garnish with powdered sugar.
Dessert & Cookie Recipes, Sicilian Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Christmas Cookie Recipes, Easter Cakes and Cookies, Valentine's Cake and Cookie Recipes, Italian Cookies, Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes, Cucciddati - Fig Cookie Recipes