Nonna's Pizza Rustica
Pizza Rustica, a real treat at Easter and all other times that Nonna makes it! Watch the VIDEO of this recipe!
This recipe is featured in the Cooking with Nonna Cookbook!
For 8 Person(s)
For the Dough:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound butter, cold
- milk, as much as needed
For the Filling:
- 1 pound basket cheese or ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 pound provolone - sharp
- 1/4 pound mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 pound prosciutto
- 1/4 pound sopressata
- 1/4 pound mortadella
- fresh black pepper, as desired
- 1 large egg for the egg wash
Just arrived from Italy!
Nonna's Cheese Grater!
The Perfect Christmas Gift
for every Italian Home!
Get one in La Bottega!
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a stand mixer, add the flour, salt and the butter cut in cubes.
- Let the flour absorb all the butter. Add the eggs and let them mix well.
- Add enough milk (about 1/4 + Cups) until you have a firm ball of dough.
- Let it rest.
- Prepare the Filling:
- Cut all the meats and cheeses in small cubes and put in a large bowl.
- Add the grated Pecorino and mix.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- Add the basket cheese and mix well. Add fresh black pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Assemble the Pizza Rustica:
- Preheat the oven at 350F
- Butter and flour a 9" springform pan.
- Cut a little less than 1/3 of the dough and set aside.
- With a rolling pin, roll the large piece of dough in a thin circle.
- Place the dough over the springform pan so that it overflows the borders of the pan.
- Add the filing and spread it evenly.
- With a sharp knife, cut the excess dough from around the border of the pan.
- With the remaining dough, roll it thin and with a ravioli cutter, cut strips to make the criss-cross strips and arrange them on top of the filling.
- Wet the strips with egg wash and bake for about 1 hr and 15 mins.
First of all, thank you for this recipe. I made it and while we thought it was very good, I have a f...
See Full Review >> - Xochitl
I love all your recipes,especially this pizza Rustica but I’d much rather watch Nonna make it. You...
See Full Review >> - RIse
My daughter and I have made this at Easter time for the past three years. The video really helped to...
See Full Review >> - Bscordam
I made your Pizza Rustica last night it came out fabulous......and absolutely delicious...... - elenajo1959
I discovered your pizza rustica on YouTube... I love the fact that you are not only saving Nonna's r...
See Full Review >> - kayhas3
Just like Grandma Rose's. - firstname.lastname@example.org