Olive Oil Candy Cane Cookies
Olive Oil Candy Cane Cookies.
For 3 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 4 1/4 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 packets Vanillina Powder, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- red food coloring as desired
- Set the oven temperature to 375F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the eggs, the vanilla, the sugar, peppermint extract if using and the oil. Whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until fully combined and a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half and separate into two bowls.
- *For best results I recommend using a kitchen scale and weighing the dough.
- In one bowl, add enough red food coloring until the dough is a bright, vibrant red and work it in with your hands.
- Leave the remaining dough white.
- Take a Teaspoon of each dough and roll them both into ropes about 3-4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Twist them at both ends and bend the twist them into a hook shape to resemble candy canes.
- Place your cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies have slightly browned.