I started my pumpkin roll journey a few years ago but I never wrote down the recipe! (the result of all my Nonna training is that I have to force myself to measure and write things down) Well, it took me a few days of cracked rolls but I think I finally reclaimed my glory! I remembered making a variation of a pan di spagna (sponge cake) for the cake part and of course I had to fill it with Nutella! I added the chopped hazelnuts for texture and because I think it goes very well with the Nutella cream cheese.
For 10 Person(s)
For the Roll:
- 3 large eggs (room temperature) soak them in warm water for a few minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- sugar for sprinkling
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup Nutella (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a cookie sheet and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well. You can use butter or shortening but I used a spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat eggs, sugar and a pinch of salt until the mixture has doubled in size and ribbons form- about 10 minutes on high speed.
- While the mixer is going sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt together twice to combine the ingredients. Set aside.
- When the eggs and sugar have doubled in volume and ribbons have formed turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and add the vanilla extract and pumpkin. Mix until just combined and then add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the parchment lined cookie sheet and smooth out with a spatula. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until springy and edges begin to pull away.
- Lay out a lint free kitchen towel and sprinkle with a generous amount of confectioners sugar.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and quickly flip it onto the towel.
- Remove the parchment paper and quickly roll the cake with the towel. Try not to stop rolling once you start.
- Let cool for about an hour and a half.
- For the filling beat Nutella and Cream Cheese until combined.
- Once the cake is cooled carefully unroll it and spread the filling evenly.
- Roll the cake back up and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. The more it chills the better! Sprinkle with extra powdered sugar and enjoy!
Please Follow me on Instagram!
Tip: If you do get a crack in your cake don't worry! More than likely the crack will not show once you roll the cake back up.