Rabbit Ligurian Style - Coniglio alla Ligure
Rabbit Ligurian Style... with all the flavors of the Italian Riviera.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Rabbit:
- 1 whole rabbit cut into pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ounces pancetta cut in small cubes
- 4 ounces white wine
- 2 springs of fresh rosemary
- 2 stalks of celery
- 5 leaves of fresh sage
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup pinoli nuts
- 3/4 cup Gaeta or small red olives
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- slices, fresh parsley and a sprig of rosemary for garnish
- Marinate the rabbit in white wine or vinegar for about 3-4 hours.
- In a large saute` pan add 4 spoons of EV olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic and the bay leaves.
- Saute` the garlic until it turns blonde.
- Add the pancetta and saute` for 1-2 mins.
- Prepare a soffritto by chopping into very small pieces: celery, carrots, onion, 1 spring of rosemary, 4 cloves garlic, sage and parsley.
- Dry the rabbit with paper towels and add to the pan. Let the rabbit color on all sides.
- Add the soffritto and let it cook until the onions are translucent (about 5 mins.)
- Add the olives, pignoli and the broth (beef or chicken).
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for about 45 minutes.
- Boil the Arborio rice and used as a bet in the serving platter.
- Place the rabbit pieces over the rice and pour the soffritto and the juices over the rabbit.
- Garnish with lemon, fresh parsley and a spring of rosemary.
Personal Note: The Genovese always displayed an austere, frugal approach in cooking, always used local products from the sea and land. Like Venice, Genova grew rich with the import of spices. However, while the merchant of Venice reserved some of the precious cargo for their use, the Genovese reserved it as merchandise to be exchanged for gold. Their cuisine thrived on local herbs to enhance and preserve their food. Today, rosemary, parsley, marjoram, basil, celery, sage, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, garlic, onions are still used as the essence of their prepared and preserved food.
Nonna Marisa Rini, Entree Recipes, Meat Recipes, Liguria Recipes, Easy Recipes, All Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Super Bowl Recipes, Rabbit Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, 4th July Recipes, Labor Day Recipes, Easter Dinner Recipes, Gluten Free Entree Recipes, Mediterranean Diet Entree Recipes, Easter Entree Recipes