Ricotta Castagnole - Zeppole with Pinoli and Raisins
Ricotta Castagnole - Zeppole with Pinoli and Raisins.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Castagnole:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Strega liqueur or rum
- 10 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest only
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for rolling the zeppole
- 1 1/2 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup pinoli nuts
- olive oil for frying
- confectioners sugar for dusting
March 19th is
St. Joseph's Day!!!
Get your Complete
St. Joseph Box
- Get the Baking Ingredients for this recipe HERE!
- Add the raisins and the liqueur to a bowl and soak for 30 minutes to rehydrate. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the ricotta, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in the flour, salt and finally the baking powder until you have a smooth batter. Drain the raisins and add them to the batter along with the pignoli nuts. Fold to incorporate.
- Put a 5 quart heavy bottomed stock pot over a high flame and heat about 3 inches of oil. You want your oil to be just under 350 degrees, you can use a thermometer if you like.
- Fill a small glass or bowl with some oil as well
- As soon as the oil is hot dip a small ice cream scoop in the glass of oil first and then begin dropping scoops of batter into the hot oil. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes each. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.