Sassanelli Christmas Cookies
Sassanelli (little rocks) Pugliesi... all the flavors of Puglia in these delicious cookies! Another classic and traditional Christmas cookie from Puglia!
For 1 Person(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1 1/4 cups Vin Cotto
- 1 1/3 pounds flour
- 1 cup toasted crushed almonds
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces oive oil
- 2 teaspoons Tsp Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 small orange, zest only
- whole unpeeled almonds for decoration
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Warm up the Vin Cotto to make it lukewarm. Dissolve in it the baking soda.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, almonds, sugar and the lemon/orange zest. Mix well.
- Add the Cinnamon and Cloves and mix well.
- Beat the egg and add it to the bowl. Add the olive oil and mix well.
- Little by little begin adding the Vin Cotto and mix it into all the ingredients.
- By the time you are finished adding the Vin Cotto the dough will be rather firm and very sticky.
- Work the dough with your hands for about 10 minutes.
- Add a thin coating of flour to baking sheets and with a teaspoon drop a ball of dough in your hand, roll it into a ball and drop it on the baking sheet.
- Press a raw almond on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F.
Lovely! - rossella rago