Baked Figs with Almonds
Baked Figs with Almonds... the chocolate of the poor. Nonna usually makes lots of these and stores them for a long time in a glass jar with the figs layered and with several bay leaves between the layers for added flavor. Store the jar in a cool dry place.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Figs:
- 24 Dried Figs
- 24 Almonds
- peel of one lemon cut in small pieces.
- Wash the figs in warm water and dry.
- Butterfly all the figs and place them on a board.
- Add severak pieces of lemon peel on one of the butterflied figs.
- Add an almond on each side of the butterflied fig and cover with the other fig. Press them well together and bake at 200F for 1 hour. Check on the color and temperature as cooking time may vary from oven to oven. They are done once they are golden brown.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
Put one under every Christmas Tree!