Baked Figs with Almonds
Baked Figs with Almonds... the chocolate of the poor. Nonna usually makes lots of these and stores them for a long time in a glass jar with the figs layered and with several bay leaves between the layers for added flavor. Store the jar in a cool dry place.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Figs:
- 24 Dried Figs
- 24 Almonds
- peel of one lemon cut in small pieces.
March 19th is
St. Joseph's Day!!!
Get your Complete
St. Joseph Box
- Wash the figs in warm water and dry.
- Butterfly all the figs and place them on a board.
- Add severak pieces of lemon peel on one of the butterflied figs.
- Add an almond on each side of the butterflied fig and cover with the other fig. Press them well together and bake at 200F for 1 hour. Check on the color and temperature as cooking time may vary from oven to oven. They are done once they are golden brown.