Chicken Sausage Meatballs
These chicken sausage meatballs can be served by themselves as appetizers, or simmer in your favorite tomato sauce for at least a half hour to infuse the sauce with flavor from the meatballs. Serve meatballs and sauce over al-dente cooked pasta.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Meatballs:
- 2 pounds chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 1/8 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese,
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless Italian bread cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 eggs, whisked in a small bowl
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- If using fresh bread, trim crusts and cut into 1/4" pieces and toast on baking sheets in 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until completely dry. Can do a day ahead. Place bread crumbs in a bowl and add milk. Stir until bread crumbs are evenly moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove the Chichen Sausage Rolls from casing and place in a large bowl and break up into small chunks.
- Add the minced garlic, pepper, grated cheese and parsley. Using hands, gently mix together. Squeeze the milk from the bread crumbs, reserving milk.
- Add bread crumbs to meat mixture, gently mix together.
- Add the eggs and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined, but don't over mix. Moisten hands with some of the reserved milk and shape into 1 3/4" - 2" diameter meatballs, and place on a baking sheet.
- Flatten the meatballs slightly, so they'll brown evenly on both sides.
- In a large 12" skillet, add enough olive oil to cover about 1/8" of the bottom. On medium high heat, brown meatballs 5 minutes per side. Don't over crowd skillet. They should be lightly browned on both sides.