Easter Zeppole with Caramel Pastry Cream
Easter Zeppole with Caramel Pastry Cream.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Caramel Pastry Cream:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 packets vanillina powder, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons water
For the Zeppole:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- candy coated chocolate eggs for decorating
- Get the Vanillina HERE!
- Yield: 8 Zeppole
- To make the Caramel Pastry Cream:
- Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl and mix together well.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until a paste is formed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk. Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar vanilla and water in a small heavy pot and stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally but not stirring, until sugar turns a medium amber.
- Carefully pour in remaining milk and stir until smooth. Bring mixture back to a simmer then pour hot mixture over mixture in bowl, whisking constantly. Pour back into saucepan.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir an additional minute.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cover with buttered parchment or plastic wrap touching top of cream to avoid skin formation. Cool to room temperature before using.
- To make the Zeppole:
- In a medium saucepan bring the water, shortening and salt to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, add the flour and reduce the heat to low. Mix with a wooden spoon continually for about 30 seconds until all the flour is incorporated and a soft dough forms that pulls away from the sides of the pan. Turn off the heat and continue stirring for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Cool until the dough is cool enough to handle.
- Once cooled mix with your hands for 5 minutes. If you find any clumps of flour that did not dissolve remove them and discard. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Add in the first egg and mix with your hands until completely absorbed. Add in the second egg and repeat the process.
- Add in the 3rd and 4th egg, mixing with an electric mixer until each egg is fully absorbed before adding the next. Mix until the dough is very smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Carefully pipe eight circles of dough about 3 inches in diameter and 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Overlap the dough by no more than 1 inch. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the Zeppole are golden. Cool completely before slicing and filling.
- Pipe some of the caramel pastry cream in the center of the Zeppole and top with 3 candy coated chocolate eggs.