Eggplant alla Fungtidd - or... In Barchetta
Baked Eggplant alla Fungtidd as they are called in my Mola di Bari. Or in Barchetta (Boat)!
For 2 Person(s)
For the Eggplant:
- 1 mediun sized eggplant
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- Pre-heat the oven at 350F.
- Add 1/2 of the parsley and 2 Tbs of EV olive oil to the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Take each eggplant half, slightly open the cuts that you made and insert slices of garlic and some parsley.
- Cover the cut surface of the eggplant with the bread crumb mix and then add some of the chopped tomatoes.
- Position the eggplants in a baking pan.
- Cut the potatoes in wedges and put them around the eggplants. Slice the onion and add it to the potatoes.
- Garnish the potatoes with some tomatoes and salt & peers as desired.
- Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pan and finally add a drizzle of EV olive oil on the potatoes and the eggplants.
- Bake for about 45 mins. depending od the size of the eggplants. Insert a fork into the eggplant, if it sinks, they are done. Naturally also check for the color.
Cut the head off of the eggplant and split it in half. With a sharp knife, score squares on the cut side of the eggplant of about 1/2" deep.