Another recipe handed down by my Mama Rosa. Every time I make the recipes she taught me means more to me now that she is no longer with us.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Artichokes:
- 4 artichokes
- 1 pound chop meat
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned beadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 3 eggs (without shells)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup water
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on the Artichokes
- 1 bulb of garlic...peeled and sliced
- 4 cups water to cook the artichokes in. DO NOT COVER the artichokes with the water. The water should be about half way up the artichokes.
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Wash the artichokes with cold water and clip off a little bit of the tips of the artichokes(throw them away) and remove the stems of the artichokes and set aside.
- Put the following items in a large bowl: chop meat, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, water and the 3 eggs. Mix all of these items with your hands until blended together.
- Turn the artichokes upside down and hit them on the counter. This will open up the artichokes to fill them with the stuffing. Remove some of the inside leaves.
- On the inside bottom of the artichokes place a slice of garlic and dizzle a bit of EVOO.
- Then take a handfull of stuffing and push it inside the artichokes until full. Then place another slice of garlic on top of it.
- In-between the artichokes leaves put a slice of garlic.
- Repeat the same as above with the rest of the artichokes.
- When all the artichokes are stuffed, place them in the pot and add the water on the sides of the artichokes NOT on top.
- Then dizzles some EVOO on top of the artichokes.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat until it starts to boil and then lower the heat for about 30-45 minutes. Check the stuffing and make sure it is cooked.
- Remove and serve.
D - Sarahc901092
Great hand me down recipe from my Mama Rosa. I handed it down to my daughter Angela. Hopefully one d...
See Full Review >> - Mimi