Broccoli Rabe and Sausage Stuffing
Broccoli Rabe and Sausage Stuffing.
For 8 Person(s)
For the Stuffing:
- 1 large loaf of Italian bread, about 8 Cups, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 celery stalks, minced
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 10 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed, ends trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt and black pepper as desired
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish and a sheet of aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Spread out the bread on two 13x18 inch baking sheets. Bake the bread until dry, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Put a large sauté pan with a lid over a medium flame and heat two tablespoons of the oil. Add the sausage and sauté while breaking it up with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Cool until the Sausage has browned, about 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the celery, carrots and garlic. Cool until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the broccoli rabe and a generous sprinkle of salt. Cool until the broccoli rabe begin to wilt, about 3-4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of broth to the pan with the sausage. Cover and cook until the broccoli rabe has softened considerably and the liquid has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the bread.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the remaining broth, eggs, melted butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the bread little by little while mixing with a spoon. It may appear dry at first but just keep mixing.
- Cover with the foil, butter side down and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minuets or until the top is golden brown.