Cucciddatu or Buccellato
This is a very traditional donut that Sicilians make at Christmas.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Buccellato:
- 17 1/2 ounces (500 grams) of flour 00
- 7 ounces (200 grams) of sugar
- 10 1/2 ounces (300 grams) of butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3 1/2 ounces (1 dl.) milk
- 5 1/5 ounces (150 grams) walnuts
- 10 1/2 ounces (300 grams) of dried figs
- 2 1/10 ounces (60 grams) pistachios
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1 3/4 ounces (50 grams) of dark chocolate drops
- 5 1/5 ounces (150 grams) of chopped toasted almonds
- 5 cloves very finely divided
- 8 3/4 ounces (250 grams) of diced zuccata = candied pumpkin
- pinch of ground cinnamon (preferably a vanilla bean)
- orange marmalade - as much as necessay
- cherries and candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Procedure for the dough
- Mix the flour with butter, sugar, three eggs, a pinch of salt, milk, until the ingredients become homogeneous and consistent.
- Wrap it in transparent film and leave it in the refrigerator for around an hour and half.
- Procedure for the stuffing
- Chop coarsely the dry fig and put them in a bowl with the other egg, the sultana grape, the cinnamon, the walnuts and the almonds minced in not too small pieces, the zuccata = candied pumpkin, cloves and Marsala.
- Mix well and put on the fire for about ten minutes. Remove from heat and add three spoons of jam. Leave it to cool.
- Making the Cucciddatu
- Roll out the dough not too much thin (around a centimeter) and form a rectangle on which we will place the stuffing.
- Close this rectangle, forming a large salami. Fold this roll on itself, sealing the ends well, so that you get a donut.
- Lay the Cucciddatu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cut into the surface (from these cuts you must see the stuffing).
- Place in a preheated oven at 355F for about half an hour.
- After this time, paint the churning Cucciddatu with a tablespoon of orange marmalade diluted with water, then sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts and put in the oven for another five minutes.
- Once cooked, garnish with candied fruit. Allow to cool and remove it permanently from the pan.