Italian American Funfetti Birthday Cake
The best of American and Italian culture: a decadent ricotta cake with a funfetti makeover for your next milestone.
For 8 Person(s)
For the Cake
- 3 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 30 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 6 packets 3 packets Vanillina Powder or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup Rainbow sprinkles
For the Mascarpone Frosting
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 packets Vanillina powder, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- rainbow sprinkles, for decorating
- To make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9 inch springform pans with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar and vanilla. Using an electric mixer beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the ricotta and beat until fully incorporated.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure each one is fully incorporated after each addition.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the top and fold them into the batter using a rubber spatula until fully absorbed. Add rainbow sprinkles and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, mascarpone, confectioners sugar and Vanillina. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in one cup of the cream and keep beating until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the remaining cup of heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese and mascarpone mixture. Set aside.
- To assemble:
- Once cakes are cooled place first layer on a plate or cake stand. With a spatula spread frosting over the first layer leaving a 1/2 inch border. Flip the second layer over so the domed side is down. Frost the entire cake with mascarpone frosting. Decorate with sprinkles as desired.