Jam Filled Olive Oil Cookies
Nonna's Jam Filled Oilve Oil Cookies... great simple cookies to have in the house all year round.
This recipe is featured in the Cooking with Nonna Cookbook.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup Nonna's grape jam or preserve of your choice
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 more for the egg wash
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs for the egg wash
Nonna's Grape Jam - Yelds about 3 cups:
- 5 pounds seedless red grapes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- To make the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 2 eggs and the sugar on medium speed until lemon colored and foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the olive oil and lemon zest and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture and mix until fully absorbed. The dough will be rather soft.
- Flour your hands well. Take a rounded tablespoon of the dough and flatten it into a disk. Add about 1 teaspoon of jam to the center and fold the dough around it to seal. Place the cookies about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Beat the remaining 1 egg in a bowl. Brush each cookie with the egg wash and sprinkle them with sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the Jam:
- Put a 6-quart (5.7 L) heavy-bottomed stockpot over the lowest heat possible. Add the grapes and sugar and stir to coat the grapes. Cover and cook until the mixture is bubbling, about 1 hour.
- Uncover the pot and cook until the grapes have cooked down, about 3 hours. Do not stir the pot at all during cooking. This will make the grapes stick and you will have to stir constantly.
- The grapes will break down and become a jam on their own. Cool completely and transfer the jam to a jar. Keep refrigerated for up to 6 months.
Nonna Romana every year makes her own Marmalade, Cherries and Grapes and she uses it for all her baking.
Optionally you can use the same mix to make cookies without the marmalade. Just scoop a spoonful of the mix on the baking sheet bypassing the marmaled part.
Amazing! Viewed on Insta and had to find recipe and try. Came out perfect. I halfed recipe for trial...
See Full Review >> - Caffa
Thn for sharing (: - Saint of circumstance