Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage: Italian-American Style
Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage: Italian-American Style.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Pasta:
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Put a large skillet over a medium-high flame and heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil.
- Prick all the sausage links all over with a fork.
- Add the sausage links to the pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and slice the links into 1/4 inch thick slices. The sausage may still be pink on the inside. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat over a medium flame. Add the garlic, anchovies and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook until the garlic has become golden and the anchovies have melted, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli rabe and salt to the pan and cook until the leaves wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage back to the pan along with any juices that have collected on the plate.
- Add in the water and cover. Cool until the broccoli rabe is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drop the pasta into a large pot of generously salted boiling water. Cook until al dente.
- Before draining scoop out a cup of pasta water and reserve in case the pasta is dry.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the broccoli rabe and sausage. Toss for 1-2 minutes over a medium-high flame.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Pecorino Romano cheese allowing the residual heat of the pan to melt the cheese.
- Serve in warm bowls with an extra sprinkle of Pecorino!