Pasta alla Norma - Pasta with Eggplants
Pasta alla Norma... another Sicilian signature dish. Pasta, eggplants and cheese! This dish was created in 1831 by a chef in Catania, Sicily, in honor of the composer Vincenzo Bellini whose premier of his opera "La Norma" at La Scala in Milan was a complete fiasco. So, to make Bellini feel better after his return home in Sicily, the chef created this dish and this gave Bellini the will to continue to compose and become of of the greatest Italian composers.
- Cut the eggplant into round slices 1/2 thick. Do not remove the peel.
- Deep fry the eggplants slices in oil. Once finished remove excess oil with paper towel.
- In a saucepan add EV olive oil and chopped garlic.
- Once the garlic turns blonde add the crushed tomatoes and the basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut the fried eggplants into strips about 1 inch wide and add to the sauce.
- Cook for an additional 10 mins.Cook the rigatoni and put in a large bowl. Add the sauce and mix well.
- Serve and garnish with Ricotta Salata.
We aren\'t Sicilian but my mom favorite rigatoni and eggplant . Thnx for recipe - Saint of circumstance
quick, easy, & delicious---we loved it!!! - jckc