Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi
Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi
For 4 Person(s)
For the Gnocchi:
- 2 tablespoons Amaretti cookie crumbs, about 3 cookies
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 3/4 cups 00 flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
For the Sauce:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- about 10 fresh sage leaves
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for serving
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- To make the Gnocchi:
- Place the amaretti cookies into the bowl of a food processor. Process until very finely ground. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the pumpkin, ricotta, egg, yolk, cheese, salt and nutmeg to the bowl. Mix until smooth. Add 2 cups of the flower to the bowl and mix until fully absorbed. Turn the mixture out onto a well floured surface. Gradually work in the last 3/4 cup of flour until a supple dough forms. The dough will be just a bit sticky.
- Flour your surface and your hands. Take a chunk of dough and roll it into a rope about 1/2 inch thick. Line up 4-5 ropes the same length at a time and with a knife cut pieces 1 inch long. Flour the back of a fork and roll each piece of dough in a downward motion with your index and middle fingers.
- Lay the gnocchi on a floured baking tray or tablecloth making sure they are not touching one another.
- To freeze:
- Place the gnocchi on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place the tray in the freezer. Once the gnocchi are frozen they can be transferred to plastic bags and frozen for 2-3 months. Do not thaw the gnocchi before cooking. Just drop them frozen into salted boiling water.
- To cook the gnocchi bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the gnocchi in and cook just until the gnocchi bob to the surface, about 3-4 minutes.
- To make the sauce:
- Put a 12-14 inch saute pan over a medium high flame and melt the butter. Cook until the butter begins to turn a light brown color and smells nutty, about 6-7 minutes. Add the sage leaves and scoop out the cooked gnocchi and add them to the pan with the butter.
- Toss in the butter for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Serve in warm bowls with a generous sprinkle of grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.