Risotto alla Bolognese
Risotto alla Bolognese. Perfect on a winter night or even for Sunday Dinner.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound mixed ground meat (pork, veal and beef)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sage leaves
- pinch of nutmeg
- red pepper, as desired
- salt, as desired
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
For the Risotto:
- 1 pound arborio rice
- 10 cups beef broth
- Parmigiano cheese for garnishing
Nonna's Cheese Grater!
The Perfect Christmas Gift
for every Italian Home!
Get one in La Bottega!
- In a pot bring the beef broth to a boil and keep it simmering.
- For the Bolognese:
- In a saute pan, add the olive oil and the chopped garlic.
- Let the garlic saute` for a few minutes until it turns lightly golden and add the ground meat.
- Saute` the meat by braking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the bay leaves and the sage leaves broken by hand. Add salt and red pepper flakes as desired.
- Saute` the meat until it turns brown. Add the red wine.
- Let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes and add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Turn the flame to low, add 1/2 cup of hot beef broth and cover the saute` pan.
- Cook for about 10 minutes. If the sauce gets dry, add some more beef broth. Once it finishes cooking transfer the sauce to a large pot.
- For the Risotto:
- In the large pot containing the sauce, add 1 cup of beef broth and the rice. Set the flame to medium and begin stirring the content.
- As the liquids dry up add 1 or 1/2 cup of beef broth at a time and continue stirring.
- Continue the stirring and adding the broth for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice feels al dente. You will probably use 7 or 8 cups of broth to make the risotto.
- Serve and garnish with Parmigiano cheese as desired.