San Giuseppe's Zeppole
Baked San Giuseppe's Zeppole. A ritual to be observed every March 19!
For 8 Person(s)
For the Pastry Cream:
- 1 3/4 ounces sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 ounce all purpose flour
- 1/4 ounce corn starch
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Pastry:
- 5 1/2 ounces flour 00 or all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces butter
- powedered sugar
- sour cherries
- For the Pastry Cream:
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar and the egg yolks until you get a soft and smooth mix. Combine with the flour and the cornstarch and mix it with the rest.
- Warm up the milk together with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and pour it in the previous bowl, while mixing it energetically with a whisk.
- Pour the entire mix in a saucepan and place it on the stove while whisking the cream, until it becomes thick enough.
- Pour it back in a bowl, cover it and let it cool in the fridge.
- For the Pastry:
- In a saucepan, pour water, butter, a pinch of salt and warm it up until it boils.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, sift the flour inside and mix it well with a wooden spoon until you have a thick mix.
- Bring the saucepan back to the the cooker and cooking at a low temperature until the mix easily detaches from the saucepan’s sides.
- Pour the mix in a bowl and add the eggs one at a time and mix it well together.
- Put the mix in a pastry bag and create the traditional zeppole shape in a tray covered by oven paper.
- Bake the zeppole for 25 min at 475°F.
- Sprinkle some icing on top and garnish with the pastry cream and the sour cherries.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please Follow me on Instagram!