Sweet Coal for La Befana
Sweet Coal for La Befana.
Have some fun on the day of La Befana (January 6) and make these Sweet Coals to give to your little kids.
Yield: About 12 pieces of coal
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Icing:
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup confectioner' sugar
- 4 drops black food coloring
For the Sugar Syrup:
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the icing:
- In a large bowl, beat the egg white with a handheld electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add the granulated sugar, vodka, and lemon juice, and continue mixing. Add in the confectioner' sugar and food coloring, and mix until you reach the consistency of a thick icing. Set aside.
- To make the sugar syrup:
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and reduce the heat to medium-low until the sugar reaches a light caramel color.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the egg white mixture to the pan, quickly mixing it in until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and let rest at room temperature until hardned, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Turn it out of the pan and break into irregularly shaped pieces of coal.