Baccala` in Umido di Sor Francesco
This recipe was created many years ago` by Sor Francesco, owner of the Osteria in Pratica di Mare (Rome).
For 6 Person(s)
For the Baccala:
- 7 Fillets of baccala` (6 for the guests and 1 for the cook so that he can check when it is done)
- 2 pounds San Marzano peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon wild fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- flour to coat the fillets
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 peperoncino (hot pepper)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
Celebrate Buon Natale
Find this sweatshirt
in La Bottega!
- Soak the baccala` for 12 hours in fresh water to remove the salt. Change the water 2-3 times.
- Soften the raisins by bathing them in lukewarm water.
- Lightly coat with flour the baccala` fillets.
- Put some oil in a large saute` pan and give a quick coating on all sides of the fillets.
- In a separate saute` pan, saute` the onion.
- Add the sauted onion to the baccala`.
- Toast very lightly the pine nuts and the fennel seeds. The toasting is necessary to extract their oils and enhance their flavors.
- Add to the baccala` the tomatoes, the pine nuts, the fennel seeds, the raisins and the peperoncino.
- Continue cooking the baccala` and if it gets a bit dry, add some hot water. At the end the sauce should be dense. Pay special attention in turnig the fillets as they become fragile and can break up.
- Add salt as needed, but be careful that the baccala` could still have some residual salt of its own.
- Sprinkle fresh pepper and the baccala` is ready to be served.
This recipe was created many years ago` by Sor Francesco, owner of the Osteria in Pratica di Mare (Rome). Read the Full Story.
Entree Recipes, Fish Recipes, Nonna Beatrice Bassanetti, Lazio Recipes, Intermediate Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Easter Recipes, Baccala Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Christmas Fish Recipes, Good Friday Recipes, Diabetic Entree Recipes, Mediterranean Diet Entree Recipes