Can your own tomatoes... you will be happy for the rest of the year!
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Tomates
- 1 bushel ripe plum tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Wash the tomatoes well under cold water.
- Remove the head and any slight black spots from the tomato.
- Cut the tomatoes in four parts and put them in mason jars (1 Qt. or 1 Pt. as you prefer)
- With a wooden spoon squeeze the tomatoes in the jar as much as possible until the entire jar is full and without air pockets.
- Optionally you can also add a leaf or two of fresh basil.
- Close the mason jars with the lids that came with the jars. One bushel will give produce 23-24 quarts of tomatoes.
- Once you have finished processing the entire bushel and you have closed all the jars, place the jars in a large pot and fill the pot with water to cover all the jars.
- Bring the water to a boil and once it starts boiling let it boil for 45 minutes.
- Shut the flame, remove all the jars from the hot water and let them cool off. Store all the jars in a cool and dry place. They will stay fresh for the entire year and certainly until you make a new batch the following year.
- Usage Notes:
- The tomatoes can be used as they are out of the jar when you need to make a sauce that calls for chunks of tomatoes.
- If you need a puree, take a jar of tomatoes, put in a blender or food processor for 1- mins. and it will liquefy immediately. Then you can use it to make any sauces that calls for tomato puree... you just have to cook it a bit longer to remove some of the excess water.