Chestnut Cream Cookies - Pastatelle
Chestnut cream filled cookies from Aquilonia (Avellino). Great cookies for Christmas!
These Ravioli type cookies can be either baked or fried.
For 1 Person(s)
For the Cream:
- 1 pound chestnut paste or chestnut flour
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces honey
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder - unsweetened
For the Dough:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teasponn vanilla powder
- pinch of baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- olive oil for frying
- Make the Dough:
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the olive oil, vanilla powder and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Little by little add the flour and let it absorb all the liquids.
- Move the dough to a wood board and continue to knead until it forms a uniform ball.
- Enclose the dough in plastic paper and let it rest for about 20 mins.
- Re-work the dough once again and let it rest for another 15 mins.
- Make the Chestnut Cream:
- If you are using fresh Chestnuts, first boil them and once they are cooked, remove the paste from all of them and put it in a food processor to get a smooth paste. Otherwise, you can use Chestnut flour.
- In a pan, add the dark chocolate, honey, orange zest and the cacao.
- On low flame let the chocolate melt and mix with all the ingredients.
- Add the chestnuts and mix well until you have a firm cream.
- Let it cool.
- Make the Pastatelle:
- Cut a piece of dough and flatten it with a rollinh pin. Make the dough very thin.
- Place a Tsp of Chestnut Cream on the dough and cover it with another layer of dough as if you were making a raviolo.
- Press the dough down to remove the air from inside the cookie and with a large shot glass or a ravioli stamp cut out the cookie from the dough.
- Make all your cookies.
- Once they are all made, they can be either baked at 350F for 20 mins. or they can be deep fried.
- Serve with powder sugar on top.
This recipe seems very similar to what my mother made. I always thought she was calling it (I am spe...
See Full Review >> - BornToSing